Friday, May 29, 2009

Back in America with so much to be thankful for!

Well friends,

It has been one month and a day since my return to the good ole US of A and I must tell you, I am shocked at how easy it has been to transition back into my life here. Sure, I won't lie, there are things every day that I miss about Spain and times that I wish I was back there. There are attitudes that I have come across that frustrate me in ways that they wouldn't have before I left. Certain aspects of American culture, in the family, the work world, politically and economically, that drive me crazy now that I probably didn't even notice before, but I knew all of that was coming.

My transition home has been so great because of the people and things I am surrounded by. As you all probably know, I had a really hard time being away from home. It was alot harder than I would have ever imagined, and only in reflecting on my time there am are starting to realize just how lonely, depressed, and really quite pathetic I was. I think if I hadn't been hindered by my homesickness, it might have been a very different trip, but then again, it took this trip and the experiences I DID have to help me grow into the person I am now. I was always independent, or at least thought I was, but now I think I really can be. The distance between you and the ones you love can be great, I know now, but they are still there for you. I think I have matured into that realization, that no matter where I wander in life, the people that matter most to me will always be there. It took finally leaving it all behind to come to that reality.

I am so grateful for my time in Spain. Thank you to my parents for making it possible, to friends, family, and co-workers for offering advise and support, and to all for putting up with me now with my stories and "this is how they do it in spain" comments.

But now, I am home, a global citizen, ready to take on new challenges, and I will, but appreciating every day and every moment more than ever before.

At one point I read a blog entitled something like "the best part of my day..." I loved this idea. Record the best part of each day, what made that day special, what you were grateful for.

This will be the purpose of this blog, to record a daily (or as close as I get) log of the best part(s) of my day, things that made me happy, or people that need to be thanked. I hope that doing this will remind me, everyday, or what it took four months in Spain to teach me: that it is the people and moments in life that make each day worth living.

Besos!
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment